Sunday, June 24, 2012

Ear Wigs

Why in the world would anyone want to wear an ear on their wig, I mean a wig on their ear. Unless, of course, hairy ears are considered attractive, although I am unaware of any culture where this is so. In fact, there is very little known about why the majority of older men get hairy ears.

The Guiness Book of World Records lists Radhakant Bajpai of India as having the longest ear hair at nearly six inches! Look closely at those ears in the photo. Reminds of me of Yoda, sort of.
 Now here is my problem. I know there are many people who get the creepy crawlies from the creepy crawlies. Insects. Oh, they may marvel at a butterfly, the glamorous poster child of the insect world. But the rest? They get stepped on, squished, obliterated, fumigated, and berated.

Ever heard the saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me?" Names are words, and I can't think of too many names that evoke disgust and repulsion like Earwig. OK, maybe Tick and Leech are right up there.  But this is the year of the Earwig. 

Who in the world named the little black insect Forficula auricularia "Earwig"? Here's a photo of Earwig. I mean, Look at poor Mr. Bajpai, then look at poor little Earwig. Where is the similarity? OK, if I stretch my imagination, I can see a very very vague resemblance if I imagine Earwigs antennae and pincers as ear tufts. Well, maybe not. At any rate, I think Earwigs got a bum rap when they were named and I am going to start a petition to rename them Hookbutts. Don't their cute little pincers look like Captain Hook's hook?


The name is blamed on an old wives' tale that Hookbutts burrowed into the brains of humans through the ear and laid their eggs. Wikipedia tells us that Hookbutts are predisposed to hiding in warm humid crevices and may indeed occasionally crawl into the human ear canal (much like any other small organism). I don't know about you, but I have NEVER heard of anyone I know having a Hookbutt crawl into their ear. Have you? Fodder for gossip, I say. Another attempt to malign Hookbutts. Balderdash!

Hookbutts are nocturnal and they often hide in small, moist crevices during the day. They are omnivorous and enjoy eating insects (mostly Arthropods) and plants. Here's something else you might not know, many species of Hookbutts display maternal instincts, caring for the young little Hookbutts until they reach the age of two (molts).


Isn't that sweet? Not only that, some Orders of Hookbutts actually have live births (as opposed to laying eggs). Now I bet you didn't know that, either.

The common Hookbutt we see here in Michigan was introduced from Europe in 1907. We do have a native species, but it is very secretive and seldom seen.

I got a very cool new straw hat the other day, and had hosed it down and set it out in the sun to dry. Later that day, I went to a party with my fancy new hat perched on top of my head. Whilest leaving the party, I felt a bite on my forehead. "Ouch!" I exclaimed. I instinctively reached up to brush my attacker away. It was a Hookbutt! I was bit by a Hookbutt! I felt honored. I felt initiated. I felt blessed to be chosen by this particular Hookbutt. It dropped to the porch floor and scampered away to find some deep, dark crevice in which to hide.

So the next time you see an Earwig, I mean a Hookbutt, scurrying across the basement floor, remember it could be a Mother trying to find one of her cute little babies. Let her go, and feel blessed to share your space with such fascinating and misunderstood creatures.

6 comments:

  1. The young boys ended up absolutely stimulated to read through them and now have unquestionably been having fun with these things.
    kylie jenner wigs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lace wigs are a particularly popular type of wig because it provides for a more natural look than many other wigs. black lace front wigs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still remember the episode of Twilight Zone (I think it was) where an earwig crawled into a man's ear while he was sleeping. When the doctor finally got it out, me announced that it had been a female and had laid it's eggs inside the man's brain. The man went instantly stark raving mad on the realization that soon his brain would be crawling with the newly hatched earwigs. Earwigs have creeped me out ever since.

    ReplyDelete