Monday, October 15, 2012

Join Now and Receive This Free Gift!

I can't believe I got suckered by AARP. I remember vividly when the junk mail started coming to my mailbox. The moment I turned 49. They sent me something every month, trying to get me to join. I just tossed the envelopes into the recycle bin.  Now, five years later, I opened a mailing. Staring at me from a colorful insert was the coolest insulated bag I had ever seen, with a carabener attached no less! Ok, I was hooked. I would join just to get that awesome free gift. I can always use an insulated bag, and I have a thing for carabeners.

Last week my free gift arrived. I was so excited...but when I opened it I felt vamboozled! By AARP no less! The bag was a mere 6 inches tall, the carabener a humiliating 1 inch long! What the hell!!!!! Nothing like the bag in the picture, with a full sized carabener swinging from its side.

I should have learned when The Nature Conservancy suckered me in with a very sweet looking tote bag over 10 years ago, which never arrived I might add. And I was an employee at the time!

Never again will I join an organization because of the "free gift when you join!" ploy. Well, except for Michigan Public Radio, who always comes through with the best stuff. I am waiting right now for my  French Press Travel Cup....

No comments:

Post a Comment