Monday, November 5, 2012

A Voter Has No Face - Vote

I am rerunning my blog of March 11, 2012.....I felt it needed to be said again. Go vote!

There is something very moving to me about voting. I have a ritual now. I walk four tree lined blocks to our local elementary school, an old brick building on Massachusetts Avenue, and stand in line with my neighbors. Latinos, African Americans, Asians, Caucasians, poor people, wealthy people, young people, old people, Republicans, Democrats, Independents, the employed and unemployed...  We are all there to have our voices heard, to put a mark on the tally sheet expressing our hopes and dreams for a future we have yet to realize.  Our hopes and dreams may resemble each other, or they may be so different that we could step outside and have fisticuffs. Yet in that moment, we stand side by side as Americans, choosing our future. I may not agree with your political views, but I will defend your right to vote.

My Beloved just became a United States Citizen last fall. This morning we were talking over our morning coffee and I asked how she felt after voting for the very first time.   

She simply said that in a voting booth, our votes all count the same. It doesn't matter what you look like, how much money you make, who you are. We are all on equal footing once we step into the booth. In that one moment, we are all the same.

Well said.

2 comments:

  1. Great reflection, thank you for sharing and reminding us that each voice and vote is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing how many legislators want to get in the voting booth with us. Or want us out of the voting booth. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete