Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Religious Freedom and Imposition

Like many across the nation I celebrated the Supreme Court's decision upholding marriage equality. In fact, I am still in a state of shock. Much like the morning I found a guitar under the Christmas tree.


But I am also becoming increasingly alarmed and concerned by the attitude of some Americans who believe their religious beliefs should be the law of the land (American Taliban?) and are willing to ignore rulings by the Supreme Court. Even the State of Texas told its clerk they don't have to issue marriage licenses if it goes against their religious beliefs. Do we really want anarchy over two people who love each other being able to be in a legally recognized relationship that HAS NOTHING TO YOU WITH YOU?


Ok, so let's go with the religious freedom argument. Here are some other things that might happen....


1. You are having a heart attack and are rushed to the hospital by ambulance. The ambulance driver, who's religious beliefs are against eating animal flesh, finds out you are a meat eater. He/she refuses to drive you to the hospital because eating meat is against their religion.


2.  You are refused service at a restaurant because the owner's religion believes all men should wear a head covering and no shoes. You are hatless and wearing loafers.


3.  Your children are not allowed to attend school because you are Catholic and the school only allows those of Protestant faith.


4.  Your mechanic won't fix your car because her religious beliefs say that women are head of household and yours is run by a man.


I think you get my drift. Most all of us have religious beliefs of some kind. Some are the same, some are very different. Some we don't agree with. And I mean really don't agree with. And that has to be OK, because we live together here in this land. I don't expect you to follow my religious beliefs (although I wish more would love the Earth and feel the connection I do) and you should not expect me to follow yours. For if you do subscribe to that expectation, then you should expect others to act in the same way - I have the same right to force you to live your life according to my beliefs.


There is an easy answer here. It is called honoring Freedom and Equality, which I believe is guaranteed under our Constitution for ALL people. I have a copy of this document on my piano. You should read it if you haven't. God is not mentioned in this document at all. Intentionally. How about we help each other live in happiness, to enjoy this small amount of time we each have on this old Earth?  If you don't agree with what someone does with their own life and it has no direct impact on you, I would think you would be much happier to mind your own business. If you don't want to marry someone of the same sex, fine. Don't. If you don't want to have an abortion, fine. Don't. If you don't want to own a gun, then fine. Don't. If you don't want to eat yogurt on Wednesdays, then fine. Don't. Although it is especially tasty on Wednesdays.


If an individual behaved this way in a relationship with their spouse, we would call it domestic violence. One person making rules for another, controlling them, shaming them, ridiculing them, punishing them for simply being themselves. Why then as a society do we not stand up a bit more and say "ENOUGH"? If it isn't acceptable in relationships with each other, why is it acceptable in the larger context of society? I say it isn't.


I guess part of this story is that these folks honestly believe theirs is the only way and everyone should follow their way. So what they are doing should be expected. Yet, it doesn't make for good neighbors. What baffles me even more is how anyone can wish for another person to suffer. From what I know about Christianity, I don't think that was the intention Jesus had in mind.


It is apparent that the religious right (I pray it is still only the religious right) feel their religious beliefs should be the law of the land. Some of the most horrendous acts of murder and torture in human history have come from this religious zealousness and it continues across the big pond. How's that working for ya? Wouldn't you rather live in a loving, happy world rather than in your tortured angry hell worrying about what everyone else is doing? I know I would. It must be exhausting being the behavior police.


My Grandmother Aldrich was a devout Christian. She had a very difficult time with accepting my sexual orientation. Yet she flew to Pennsylvania and attended my commitment ceremony. Because she loved me and knew how important it was to me. She did not turn into a turnip or a lesbian, nor burst into flames over the matter. Instead, she filled the heart of her Granddaughter with love.


I think the religious right could learn alot from Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment