Friday, January 25, 2013

If I Died Tomorrow...

If I died tomorrow...

Would you know how much you meant to me?
Or about all the things I have learned from you and taken into my being?
That a part of you has become a part of me?

Would you know that I forgive you for those hurts from long ago
that have stood as a troubled wall between us,
we have had to climb over whenever we talk?

Would you know of the things that I hold dear?
The earth, our diversity, acorns, my dog?
Would you know what I do everyday to protect our waters?
Or the loneliness when I come home to a house without you?

Would you know of the places I have lived or the friends I have known?
Of the bogs I have bounced on or the deep muck that has sucked me in?
Would you know my disappointments and triumphs, my fears and my dreams?
Would I know yours?

Will I have said everything I wanted to say,
knowing that chance will come no more?
If I left you behind would you grieve eternally for that which was not?
Or gain strength from that which was?

If I died tomorrow will I go with regrets,
or with the peace of knowing I told you?
Will I leave with dreams unfulfilled or
will I go with a heart full from life well lived?

As long as I wonder about these things
in the autumn of my life
I believe I will say all that needs to be said
and live all that needs to be lived
Love all that I needed to love
Including you.

No comments:

Post a Comment